The Wilcox County Commission and the Alabama Tombigbee Regional Commission recognize that Wilcox County has a wealth of natural resources, a strong forest products industry base and a capable workforce, all ingredients for an economic development plan that identifies opportunities and recommends action to support a diverse and sustainable economy.
The University of Alabama Center for Economic Development (UACED) is performing a study to assess the current assets and economic condition of Wilcox County, collect input from its citizens, identify opportunities both for business and industry and outdoor recreation/tourism, and propose strategies and actions which will provide guidance for investments and programming to exploit the County’s potential.
Project Details and Elements
More specifically, the study will accomplish the following:
- Provide an assessment of Wilcox County’s current approach to economic development and recommendations for supporting the marketing and development of the County
- Identify and research business and industrial sectors that are a good fit for the County’s assets, in order to position the County for participation in future growth sectors (Green manufacturing and services, as an example)
- Provide a detailed County Profile, which will include demographics and information on population, housing, industry/business, and workforce, to be used in marketing the County
- Identify potential sites for business and industry
- Analyze the current retail market, to identify potential gaps and opportunities for new businesses
- Devise a plan to enhance and expand outdoor recreation opportunities throughout the County, to serve its citizens, and to encourage tourism into the County, thus expanding economic growth
- Develop site specific design and recommendations for improving amenities and services at various City and County controlled properties, in order to support expanded outdoor recreational opportunities
Develop recommendations and an action plan to assist City and County decision making in investments and improvements of amenities, facilities and programming.